Backing up e-mail
Acronis True Image Home 2011 allows you to back up messages, accounts and settings for Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, Microsoft Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Live. E-mail backup is a subset of file-level backups that backs up predefined folders and requires minimum user selections. However, if need be, you can select Microsoft Outlook components and folders individually.
You can select the following items:
- Messages contained in .PST/.DBX Database Files
- E-mail accounts
For Microsoft Office Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010
- Mail Folders
- News Folders
- User Settings
- Address Book
For Microsoft Outlook Express
- Mail Folders
- Address Book (select Windows Address Book).
Acronis True Image Home 2011 provides backup of IMAP (Internet Messages Access Protocol) mail folders for Microsoft Outlook. This means that you can back up folders stored on a mail server. For Microsoft Outlook Express and Windows Mail only backup of local e-mail folders is available.
Take note that Acronis True Image Home 2011 does not support Unicode characters in the items backed up using the E-mail backup type.
To back up your E-mail:
- Click E-mail backup on the main screen. This will open the E-mail Backup window.
- Select the mail items you want to back up in the What to back up area. The right side will show the item contents with all subitems selected. There you can unselect the subitems you do not need to back up, if any.
- Select a destination for backup (you can leave the default destination or browse for a destination after clicking the down arrow to the right of the current destination and selecting Browse…).
- The program will assign a default name to the backup, but if you would like to assign another name, type the name in the Backup name field.
- Click the Back up now button if you want to run backup immediately. You can also delay the start of backup for up to 6 hours by clicking the down arrow to the right of this button and selecting a delay interval from the dropdown list.
Note that you will have to specify your Windows account name and password. This is done for confidentiality reasons. The program will back up only the e-mail messages and settings related to the specified account. E-mail data of all other accounts will not be backed up.
To specify the credentials:
- Enter the user name in the appropriate field.
- Enter the password in the appropriate field. If you do not enter the password or enter an incorrect password, the program will notify you that the credentials are not valid.
When you need to change the default backup options, click E-mail backup options and set the options as required. You can also change the default backup scheme by clicking on the appropriate link. For more information see Backup schemes.
If you want to run the backup on a schedule, click the Turn on link to set up a schedule (for more information see Scheduling). To run the backup on the schedule, click the down arrow to the right of the Back up now button and select Later in the drop down list. The backup where you have made the settings will run according to the schedule. You can also start the backup manually later on the main screen.